Forums

Forum Home > RRR Game of the Week > GOTW #14 - SNESCAPADES - NOSFERATU

Psycho Gorilla
Administrator

NOSFERATU

BIO FORCE APE.  

That should really be enough for this review, just those three powerful words.  But, just to keep things on the up and up and to make sure we're still on the internet, I'll add the three additional words "MILF XXX BLOWJOBS" to keep the search engines honest.  Seta, the developers behind Nosferatu, were the same people who made Bio Force Ape, so there should be an immediate inverse correlation for you to draw between the popularity of a title and its greatness in Seta's case.  What you have in Nosferatu is a horror-themed game made in the 16-bit era that isn't Castlevania, so you just know that it will automatically fall into some obscure second tier.  It's one of those "outside the box" type of games that controls and feels like Prince of Persia and Out of This World: clunky, slow and somewhat unresponsive to the fast-twitch player's sexpectations.  That doesn't make it BAD, but it will immediately separate the dedicated connoisseur type of players from the ones looking for the streamlined games that fit into a genre like a Tetris piece which, back in the SNES' day, was either a fighting game based on a cartoon show or comic, or RPG made by Square.  Since even Castlevania was prone to some harsh criticism back then (both X and Bloodlines), this didn't bode well for Nosferatu.

Probably the best thing about Nosferatu is that the plot is so simple that you can blacktually make up your own, as you find yourself in a haunted dungeon and will be delivering some brutal-looking street fighting moves on zombies and demons within minutes, so it's like you just wake up and start trouble because fuck the undead.  It has a very dark and eerie feel throughout, and if not for the end credits, you'd think you were playing a game made by roundeyes, right down to the sound.  Gameplay is very interesting and brings you challenges immediately instead of inundating you with long intros and tutorials.  You have to sexperiment a bit to find out how to move, get through obstacles, and progress to the next areas, and the life upgrades and very generous continue system make it easier for you where the lack of hints do not.  This is one of those games that can be rewarding to finish legit, but blacktually more fun to use cheat codes and the stage select to pick and choose how to have fun.  The final boss fight is a welcome departure from Castlevania, as there's only one "form" to fight (although he does have a transformation from time to time), and it's just you kicking the shit out of each other, just like F.W. Murnau would probably have done to women in the 1920s who gave him backsass.

Nosferatu isn't the easiest to just pick up and play, and takes a bit of a time investment, but when you're into it, and get past the plodding controls, it's a nice departure from a series that has become J-Pop (and then, strangely, Rygar), and blacktually feels like it's trying to scare you a little more than not at all.  I give it one John Malkovich Strangling Willem Dafoe In HD.

--

\  /
 O
October 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blob

I stumbled on this one a few months ago, seemed promising.

--

October 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Armageddon Potato
Administrator

Awesome write up! Blacktually I think I'm going to try to fit this one into my Halloween Horror Games this month. I surprising had nothing on SNES planned for the horror challenge.

I remember getting this off of craigslist at an ungodly hour from a dude who had a Super Mario Super Show Pinball machine. Man that machine was boss. I would have bought it if it was for sale(or I had any money!)

October 17, 2012 at 3:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NESJohnny
Administrator

Looks rad!  Ain't never even heard of this one ... I will certainly "buy" a "physical copy" immediately!  Looks like fun - is the music any good?  Half the fun for these horror games is music as far as I'm concerned.

I dig the cover art, too.  I put a pic up on the main page for the GotW, the proportions weren't right so it's all off center.  But, now you can clearly see the vampire and the XXX MILF who gives him BLOWJOBS.  Sexaay!

--

October 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Psycho Gorilla
Administrator

The music is definitely more of the "eerie" variety than the type to stick in your head, but it fits pretty nicely.  Very dark, almost satanic sound to it all, which could easily have driven away the kiddies back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2QnFW52D6U

--

\  /
 O
October 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NESJohnny
Administrator

Oh that's hella good.

--

October 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dos munos

Oooh, me likey. I'll see if I can find this one cheap.

October 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CommieCatGirl Jr.

I fell in love when I saw the screenshot of the dude kicking a vampire in the dick.

--

Kill Whitey

I personally believe at least half of them are registered sex offenders, with non-registered sex offenders probably comprising the other half.

~Psycho Gorilla

October 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Psycho Gorilla
Administrator

The Belmonts never could figure that shit out, and it's way more effective.

--

\  /
 O
October 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

anticit1zen

I played through 'Nosferatu' during one of my past HHGCs.  It's one of those almost games.  Enjoyable when things are going well, rage-inducing when they aren't.

The concept of a "Double Dragon meets Castlevania in Prince of Persia" sounds intriguing but the execution is way off.  Using bare-fisted street fighting moves to take down zombies, mutants, werewolves, frankenstein wannabes, and stuff is total badassery.  Although leveling up your moves by finding those crystal thingies only to lose them every time you get knocked on your arse is beyond irritating.

The "double tap to run" is bullsmeg too.  I know lots of games have double tap running but why should something that requires precise platforming have it (especially when there are plenty of unused buttons on the SNES controller).  Should have made the controls more like 'Flashback' or 'Blackthorne'.  Hell even 'Lester the Unlikely' handled the 'PoP' style better than this.

The traps are kind of cheap at times too.  Often placing several hazards too close together in a small area.  Time limit is a problem for first-time runs.  I also hated that fat floating buddha-looking mub.  He's a sumbitch.

I'm doing way too much complaining though.  The game is beatable and mostly playable.  It is challenging though.

It looks really cool (especially the outdoor stages).  It also rewards the player for exploration.  So worth playing at least for a try.

TIP: If you're playing this on a SNES emulator like you're supposed to, try a duplicate mapping of the LEFT/RIGHT D-pad controls to something unused (shoulder buttons are good, maybe analog stick) then set those buttons to TURBO so you don't have to double-tap.  You can just run with a single press and hold.  Makes it way more user friendly.

--

October 29, 2012 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Psycho Gorilla
Administrator

Most of those are blaxactly the reason I don't read into "out of 10" scores anymore, especially if those scores are slanted, biased or outright corrupt (read: every current mainstream rag still around).  If I absolutely had to give it a score out of 10, I doubt I'd go any higher than 6 or 7, but well worth giving a shot.  Then again, these days a 3/10 blacktually means "a must play" so there you go.

--

\  /
 O
October 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

New site online now!

Click here to go to the new RRR!  You will need to re-register, but we will now have a better board based off of phpbb and the main site will now run on the wordpress engine.  Be sure to update your bookmarks!  RetroReviewRevolution.com will change to the new address soon!

Game of the Week:ROGER CLEMENS' MVP BASEBALL (GENESIS)

Recent Videos

7 views - 0 comments
4 views - 0 comments
18 views - 0 comments

Friends module

Also check out our friends at

Or go straight to the  Retro Gaming Roundup Blog where Leathco is a featured writer!