Forums

Forum Home > Retro Gaming > Awesome Doom discussion.

NESJohnny
Administrator

This pretty much sums it all up for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOF2RsO3ck

--

February 13, 2012 at 2:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Psycho Gorilla
Administrator

DOOM is really one of those games that deserves all the staying power and diehard fanbase proclaiming its love for it so often.  Not only is it the quintessential foundation for the FPS game as a genre (if you look at that sort of thing, which I don't very often), but should also be synonymous with the PC game industry.  In a way, it sparked more of a movement than Mario ever did.

--

\  /
 O
February 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Blob

I remember being completely blown away the first time I saw Doom running on a friend's woefully inadequate PC -- must have been running at like three frames per second, but I was mesmerized by the rocket launcher. I love how you can run it as a native program on almost anything nowadays thanks to the source code release.

Hahaha that Edge quote.

--

February 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

omg

This guy brings up some good points.

--

February 14, 2012 at 5:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

omg

Edit? No? Okay.

This guy is like a way less self-indulgent game overthinker. I'm really liking his videos. Thanks for the link.

--

February 14, 2012 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

leathco@gmail.com
Site Owner

Great link!

With that said, I got into Doom a little late, but I love it.  One thing I really like about it is how modular it is.  Wanna turn it into a whole new game?  No prob!  Wanna play it on your handheld or your cell phone?  No prob!  Hell, wanna load it plus a bunch of mods on your Dreamcast?  No prob!

--

February 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nes_pimp
Administrator

Back when I was in highschool, I used to get stoned, blare slayer and play doom all day, I did a similar thing with fear factory and gyruss. Great video.

--

February 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liraman

the only things that i hate about Doom is the myriad of clones we got for near a decade after its release.

When Halo was released the first thing i tought was, "Great! , another doom clone, but in 3D ".

Not a fan of the genre but i think Doom is the best

February 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Psycho Gorilla
Administrator

Liraman at February 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM

the only things that i hate about Doom is the myriad of clones we got for near a decade after its release.

When Halo was released the first thing i tought was, "Great! , another doom clone, but in 3D ".

Not a fan of the genre but i think Doom is the best

the only things that i hate about Street Fighter is the myriad of clones we got for near a decade after its release.  Well, that and the shameless ROM hacks they sold to us in cart form for $60.

When Tekken was released the first thing i thought was, "Great! , another Street Fighter clone, but in 3D ".

--

\  /
 O
February 15, 2012 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liraman

I tought of the same, but refrain to say it, thanks :)

i wonder whats with people that think the same on Dancing games at arcades, i'm proud to say that i´ve never set foot on arcade galleries in the 21th century. but last time i did there was this thing called  "Revolution whatever break dance" , i cant tell the difference, to this day i think they still exist, But in 4D. 

February 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ratix

how everyone should play doom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6fKb62p2Nk

--

February 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Polonius

Where they get you on those DDR games (dancing) is that the same set of songs can get so boring. So you buy the new games just for the music. :P

February 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

omg

Hey I want to play doom and doom 2 and ultimate doom again.

Someone save me! With links! And downloads! And wads! heh wads!

--

February 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liraman

(dancing)  hyperactivity !  *shivers*

i'm too old for this shit xD

February 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ratix

omg at February 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Hey I want to play doom and doom 2 and ultimate doom again.

Someone save me! With links! And downloads! And wads! heh wads!

http://doomworld.com/pageofdoom/shareware.html

--

February 20, 2012 at 5:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NESJohnny
Administrator

Anyone play Brutal Doom?  It's a great expansion with new gun effects, added blood/death animations, chat/taunt macros, and much more.

It's real slick.  I would say the vanilla, OG Doom remains the more polished, professional product, but this is good for a messy fun time.  Y'all know how that goes.  I've been enjoying the original trilogy through this.  Fun to play through them again and have it feel fresh.

I was also thinking this would be a good 'balancer' on Final Doom.  The 'pistol' is now an assault rifle that can basically snipe.  It would be good for those wide open areas where you can't really shoot back because Doom weapons weren't made for long ranges (Plutonia especially).  It also beefs up a lot of the enemies, which makes it a bit more challenging even though your weapons are more absurdly powerful.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom

--

December 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Armageddon Potato
Administrator

I've been playing this recently: http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

It's a really good remake of the N64 Doom for the PC. I always really liked Doom 64. I was so hyped to hear there was going to be a new Doom coming out for the 64 back in the day. I remember getting it, and playing the heck out of it. I remember reading they had to scale the games animations back just to fit it into the cartridge which is why things like the reloading animations are only a couple frames.

December 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

New site online now!

Click here to go to the new RRR!  You will need to re-register, but we will now have a better board based off of phpbb and the main site will now run on the wordpress engine.  Be sure to update your bookmarks!  RetroReviewRevolution.com will change to the new address soon!

Game of the Week:ROGER CLEMENS' MVP BASEBALL (GENESIS)

Recent Videos

7 views - 0 comments
4 views - 0 comments
18 views - 0 comments

Friends module

Also check out our friends at

Or go straight to the  Retro Gaming Roundup Blog where Leathco is a featured writer!